Want to Support the Site?

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by JackJack233, Apr 25, 2013.

1. JackJack233

JackJack233 Ex-Councillor
    PlanetSide 2
    Date Joined:  23/12/2012
    Characters:  JackJack233
    Minecraft
    Date Joined:  12/08/2013
    Characters:  jackjack233
    Star Citizen
    Commander
    Date Joined:  28/09/2013
    Characters:  JackJack233
    Other Games
    Date Joined:  29/03/2016
    Ex-Councillor (Staff) Donator

Right now I fund all of our server costs and domain costs, which limits me in what I can do (I'd like to purchase a couple of new domains but have been holding off because of money).
    Many of you have asked for a donate button, so I'm introducing one today, along with a few little perks for donors.

Perks:
    €10+
    • "Donator" badge next to your posts and on your forum profile
    • Voice privilege on our IRC channels (+v)
    • Ability to create temporary channels on the Mumble

I am considering the possibility of adding higher tiers with more privileges, if I do, then any donations which fit the higher tier will retroactively be credited with those privileges, so don't worry about donating too early.

Note that these are PERKS. They are not a service. More may be added, some may be removed, all of them may be removed. They are a "Thank you" for donating, and if they are abused, will be withdrawn.

Simply click the button below to donate, any amount, big or small is accepted! (but if you donate less than $1 PayPal will swallow a lot of it as fees). Make sure to include your character name when prompted. Your perks will be activated as soon as possible. Note that the donator badge is not yet finished and so you will not receive it until it is finished.

Donate!

2. Nice idea, Jack! I would really like to donate something, BUT I actually can't because I'm not 18 years old yet. Is there a way to donate via PaySafeCard or can this be implemented?

3. InigoMontoyaJun

InigoMontoyaJun Sergeant
    PlanetSide 2
    Legionary
    Date Joined:  28/12/2012
    Characters:  InigoMontoyaJun
    Other Games
    Donator

just tried it on my mobile, and paypal asked me to first transfer money to my paypal account: do you maybe need to allow CC payments explicitly?
    I use my account regularly, and never had to fill up my paypal balance beforehand

4. ZediirHoid

ZediirHoid Sergeant
    PlanetSide 2
    Centurion
    Date Joined:  19/02/2013
    Characters:  Zediir
    ZediirHoid
    Other Games
    Donator

"This recipient is currently unable to receive money." Something went wrong.

5. TronManForever

TronManForever Lieutenant
    PlanetSide 2
    Legionary
    Date Joined:  03/01/2013
    Characters:  TronManForever
    Warframe
    Minecraft
    Star Citizen
    Date Joined:  04/02/2014
    Characters:  TronnyBoy
    ARK Survival Evolved
    Date Joined:  16/12/2015
    Characters:  M.Finigan
    Black Desert Online
    Date Joined:  11/11/2016
    Other Games

wont work jackjack

6. JackJack233

JackJack233 Ex-Councillor Ex-Councillor (Staff) Donator

So basically PayPal is being a gigantic cunt and refusing to handle my payments because it wants me to send in about 200 different forms of verification and charge me a "verification fee" of $300. Verification fee my ass, more like extortion fee. I've switched the donate button to send to my personal account, and from there I'll handle separating it from my own money with good old account books.

7. InigoMontoyaJun

InigoMontoyaJun Sergeant Donator

lol
    when I came home I saw a mail from paypal about "suspicious activities" on my account. even had to change my password..

but it worked now :)

8. JackJack233

Thank you for your contribution! :)
    Donator badge is almost ready

9. DotHacker

DotHacker Lieutenant
    PlanetSide 2
    Centurion
    Date Joined:  02/02/2013
    Characters:  DotHacker
    Warframe
    Date Joined:  24/06/2014
    Characters:  Somebody23
    Minecraft
    Characters:  Somebody23
    Star Citizen
    Commander
    Characters:  DotHacker
    Other Games
    Donator

Enjoy jack ^^

Sent

10. ultimatox

ultimatox Ex-Councillor
    PlanetSide 2
    Date Joined:  02/01/2013
    Characters:  No characters linked
    ultimatox
    Star Citizen
    Commander
    Characters:  ultimatox
    Other Games
    Ex-Councillor (Staff) Donator

Just so you all know. This isn't about Jack pocketing money, however much he may deserve it with all the work he does. The funds will go exclusively to cover server costs, future improvements etc. Any excess will always be saved for future costs or spent to the betterment of Trident as a whole, subject of spending approval of the Council.

Anyway. Donated! :)

11. vFRTs

vFRTs Sergeant
    PlanetSide 2
    Legionary
    Date Joined:  15/02/2013
    Characters:  vFRTs
    Warframe
    Date Joined:  19/08/2013
    Characters:  vFRTs
    Star Citizen
    Date Joined:  01/09/2014
    Characters:  vFRTv
    Other Games
    Donator

If you spend money on this game, this is definitely a place to spend some money on..

Donated! (Kristian P)

12. ShenR

ShenR Donator

Thanks for all the hard work Jackjack!

Sent.

13. I just want to put it out in the open, I will not support it even with a single dollar. At the moment I'm in the worst economical situation I've ever been for various reasons. All the money I had in my Paypal account (not much) was moved to my bank account since I have trouble paying the bills. Still hoping for Gandalf to knock on the door to summon a bag of cash.

Anyway, hopefully the things I do for and with Trident is enough for now. If I had anything to spare at all I would have donated without even thinking about it. You know I love being a part of Trident and this would get priority over a night out.

14. ZediirHoid

ZediirHoid Sergeant Donator

Supporting a great site and upkeep ;)

15. Zhorts

Zhorts Lieutenant
    PlanetSide 2
    Legionary
    Date Joined:  23/02/2013
    Characters:  Zhorts
    Minecraft
    Date Joined:  21/03/2014
    Characters:  Zhorts
    Star Citizen
    Ensign
    Date Joined:  29/09/2013
    Characters:  zhorts
    Other Games
    Donator

Is it a lifetime deal? Donate once and get benefits forever? :)

To preface this part: I'm not really sure. Feel free to ignore me completely. I dunno if I'm talking sense today or just gibberish. Just one of those days, I guess...
    In my limited experience, users like knowing what they donate to and what it costs. Gives a sense of achievement, I guess. "I paid for the domain name this month! Yay me!" Just a basic list of items. Not that it's needed here, but it gives users a way to kind of keep track of the responsible person so he doesn't run off with the money, or spend it on questionable choices. As an example, I was in a clan where the tech guy was paying for a 100-spot Teamspeak server, for a maybe-10 group of players "because it's good value!"... I trust you Jack, but I'm also curious.
    Also, you could do the whole monthly / yearly target deal, with added perks for going over target and stuff. "€100 runs the server for a year, If we reach €150, I can set up a webcam pointed at the server so you can watch the HDD led flash in real-time!"

I shall donate once I get home. Stupid three-step verification *grumble grumble*

16. ultimatox

ultimatox Ex-Councillor Ex-Councillor (Staff) Donator

Lets push to €200 so we can get a microphone pointed at the cpu fan, livestreamed over internet radio so we can hear and guess what RPM it is running on from second to second! :)

17. KaptenJehfvel

KaptenJehfvel Private
    PlanetSide 2
    Legionary
    Date Joined:  07/02/2013
    Characters:  KaptenJehfvel
    Other Games
    Donator

Donated!
    not much but "många bäckar små" ;)

18. I'm also not able to donate at the moment, even though I would love to... :(

19. JackJack233

I just want to address a few things in relation to your posts:

First off, Trident does not have or need its own server. It previously ran as a virtual server on my main server which I use for my day job, but I decided to move it to its own VPS with x10Hosting a while ago. The price for Trident's VPS is $10/month which translates to roughly €8-9/month. Domain costs are yearly and are €10/year and are bought from Namecheap. I have always been a tight spender and donations will not change my attitude to budgeting. Trident will get only what it needs and nothing more, I will not waste any of your money. In the future we may upgrade to a higher end VPS to reduce the Mumble's slight lag and I may buy a few extra IP addresses and set up HTTPS for the site. We may also at some point consider moving to a more advanced board software such as IPB.

Next if all, as I explained, you are not buying these perks, you are donating and receiving them as a gift. This is an important distinction because it means PayPal waives quite a few fees that are only charged for services that are designed to turn a profit. They are intended to be lifetime, but I could withdraw them tomorrow (of course I have no intention to do that).

Also, do NOT feel pressurised into donating. Thanks to all of your generous contributions I have enough to tide us over for a good few months, if I ever start running out I'll let you all know. These are difficult economic times and if you don't have the money you shouldn't be donating it or feeling pressured into donating.

Finally, I have received a number of contributions where the sender has not entered their character name into the donations process. If you think you may be one of those people, please send me a PM with your full name, PayPal email and transaction ID and I will add you to the list of people due for perks.

20. JackJack233

Donator badges implemented!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice