TRID and the Lettice.

Discussion in 'Public Discussion' started by Eugenios, May 29, 2013.

1. Opinions from the VS side? We are hardly impressed by it.

At one hand close to what we wanted with no backcapping to be seen but at another just realized how little sense the pubs and NC in general actually have. Been fighting mostly TR and once the ball starts rolling it feels like it's impossible to contain the zerg because there is nowhere for it to decipate and leaving the blues at defensive task while moving to cap an area ahead of them all to often has resulted in them scattering or getting rolled over when population advantage is still at our side in the hex.

Maybe if we were fielding more than one platoon things would be different but as it stands a single platoon with mindless blues in the hex that move on outposts that are impossible to take is simply depressing.

Few days back we rolled the TR straight to their warpgate with my platoon setting up the task of covering the flank and neutralizing the armored threat. We took out probably 40-50 prowlers in span of 20 minutes and supressed 1/4 of warpgate with AV turrets. Anything going for firing range or the road leading to Mao got taken out the moment it left their warpgate. but at the end the NC got overun anyways and our platoon was doing constant retreat against ever growing TR numbers.

Need to fight you guys to see if things are any different on VS side of the map.

2. The thing that separates PS2 vs other FPS MP's is huge battles. This is a step towards more of that which is good. I see it as just one of many changes towards that and hopefully it will be improved over time. Ghostcapping might be one of the most boring things to do so anything that makes that go away is positive.

Can't say I see anything amazing or gamebreaking about the lattice system but this annoys the hell out of me:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comm ... sperately/

I don't agree that you should be able to spawn anywhere along the lane back to the WG but at least the area closest to where you died. Atm it just feels b0rken.

3. angeh

angeh Donator

it does focus the big battles rather then ghost capping around which is good. It makes it easier to defend i.e. we held 50+ of indar the other day by holding 5 bases at crucial interesections. We had an awesome battle vs smurfs - huge zerg pushed us all the way back to peris amp - but it was a slow retreat awesoem tank and infantry battles. We got backup - the forces you had were huge -and rolled you back all the way to crossroads - promotes huge battles imo - I think the NC need to get more organized to better utilize the lattice system, whereas we have ourselves, owned, phantom +others the NC outfits don't seem to co-ordinate well together (atm) and usually just zerg in a direction leaving the other front/key points undermanned. Yeah the respawn locations are seriously messed up and need fixed asap - i.e. you cant respawn at the base next to you - but you can at one the other side of the map with no activity. The other day on esamir - me and ulti could spawn at any of the eisa tech outposts but not the main base :S.

4. JudgeDeath

JudgeDeath Founder (Ex-Councillor)
    PlanetSide 2
    Date Joined:  08/12/2012
    Characters:  JudgeDeath
    Minecraft
    Date Joined:  03/04/2020
    Characters:  TRID_Judgedeath
    Other Games
    Date Joined:  29/03/2016
    Ex-Councillor (Staff)

I love the fact it creates massive pushes or infantry,armor and air .. its truly spectacular.

I think they should tweak the cap system that you could advance on the enemy even if your own base is under attack and ticking down. Essentially it would allow us to sever the link between the now under attack base and where the enemy originates.

Instead of one focus point it would allow intelligent counterattack to take place.

5. Welcome to the First World War. No real room for strategic activity, no distractions or feints. It's all: plow on to the next obvious place, in the usual obvious way, to fight the same old fights. I've played other games with this mechanic, and they were, at the end of the day, dead boring.

6. DoomPotato

DoomPotato Lieutenant
    PlanetSide 2
    Centurion
    Date Joined:  16/12/2012
    Characters:  DoomPotato
    Warframe
    Date Joined:  12/08/2013
    Characters:  DoomFruit
    Minecraft
    Star Citizen
    Ensign
    Date Joined:  28/09/2013
    Other Games

I have two minds about the lattice system. On one hand, it does force people to fight in massive battles (which is the whole point of PS2). On the other hand, it forces you to fight in massive battles (bye bye, framerate).

It certainly makes capturing a base much, much harder - on Monday, I was fighting at Tawrich. Before SOE mangled the maps, we'd take the satellite bases and then move in. Now that the satellites are separate from the main base and because of these lattice lanes, we can't take the Northern tower before the main facility. You guys pushed us out of Tawrich using the highly defensible tower as your base.

Also, their broken respawn system doesn't help matters much. "Oh, you can still flank around the sides of the lattice lanes" say its advocates. Well, no I can't. If I'm going to do that, the "closest" spawn is the warpgate.

7. The frustration comes from lack of coordination and innability of zerg to actually do anything without us. There was a massive NC push on Snake revine some days back and with the numbers in hex being somewhat overpowering against you guys we decided to bounce the two squads we had available on the Vanu archives which are almost impossibru to take without prepartions in advance.

To absolutely no surprise the zerg was contain by a bunch VS firing from the spawn room.

8. Yesterday evening, we tried to retake Scared Mesa Skydock. We failed. Then the idea was to push through Tawrich Tech Plant to take Scared Mesa from the rear. We succeded. All I want to say here is thanks to the new Lattice system people has started to think more strategically. Despite the argument of "only one solution to cap a base", we discover that more strategic moves were possible.

I (personnaly) prefer strategic thinking rather than push like dumb soldiers towards a stronghold held by 40 maxes or 25 armors.

9. angeh

angeh Donator

I see both negatives and positives - the positives mentioned earlier. It makes the game more predictable like jaf said, it makes it less tactical offensive wise. it gives more defensive strategy options because you know where they are going - you can flank around them set up ambushes. I havent had a chance to do much platoon leading on.indar since its been implemented so ill see how that goes first:)

10. JackJack233

JackJack233 Ex-Councillor
    PlanetSide 2
    Date Joined:  23/12/2012
    Characters:  JackJack233
    Minecraft
    Characters:  jackjack233
    Star Citizen
    Commander
    Date Joined:  28/09/2013
    Characters:  JackJack233
    Other Games
    Ex-Councillor (Staff) Donator

Ghost cappers used to really really piss me off so I'm really fucking happy they removed that mechanic. People need to start understanding that you CANNOT WIN EVERY ATTACK. The defenders are SUPPOSED to have a massive advantage and the attackers are SUPPOSED to have an uphill battle to try and take the base. Taking a base no longer consists of simply steam rolling it with a zerg because guess what? There'll be another zerg waiting for you. Now you need to coordinate a tank push, infantry Gal drop and a few other maneuvers in order to take the base.

11. angeh

angeh Donator

they could.maybe bring back influence instead of set times, with the new.system it would make sense. I.e. to cap the hvar system of bases takes twenty mins - if theres no one there thats a waste of time. In reality now if you are an organized platoon you should rarely lose a base thats under attack unless theres.overwhelming numbers as defending is so much easier now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice