Changes to Mumble Authentication

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by JackJack233, Apr 22, 2013.

1. JackJack233

JackJack233 Ex-Councillor
    PlanetSide 2
    Date Joined:  23/12/2012
    Characters:  JackJack233
    Minecraft
    Date Joined:  12/08/2013
    Characters:  jackjack233
    Star Citizen
    Commander
    Date Joined:  28/09/2013
    Characters:  JackJack233
    Other Games
    Date Joined:  29/03/2016
    Ex-Councillor (Staff) Donator

Mumble Authentication will be changing this Saturday to a different system which will allow us to use Mumble for more purposes such as diplomatic communication with other outfits, etc.

First off, I am removing the certificate based authentication entirely (except for the Trident Council which will use it simply so that we can moderate the Mumble). New users will no longer need to generate a certificate before joining the server and right clicking your name and hitting Register will become optional (but still recommended as it protects you from impersonation).

I am switching the authentication to a two tiered system:
    • The first tier will be the outer password, ps2lithcorpvstrident which will remain in place. This password should not be revealed to someone outside Trident by anyone under the rank of Troop Commander. TCs and above may reveal this password to personnel from other VS outfits and the management will occasionally give it out to non VS outfits if we need to communicate with them via voice.
    • The second tier will be access token based authentication. This is not as complicated as it sounds. Basically you simply connect to the server, then click the Server button in the toolbar and select Access Tokens from the drop down list. From there you can add access token(s). There will be several different tokens for different user groups. You will be able to find your user group's token at http://ps2trident.com/index.php/mumbletoken (this is not currently available). If you are promoted or demoted you will be required to change your access token. Additionally, all access tokens will automatically expire and be regenerated on the 1st of every second month with the first regeneration occurring on the 1st July, and you will need to re-enter them. I may make this interval shorter or longer depending on if I see abuse of the Mumble. Outfit reps from other Cobalt outfits will be provided with special tokens giving them limited access to a few diplomatic channels.

A proper guide to implementing the access token in your client will be uploaded on Friday and I will update this topic with a link. On Friday the access token system will be implemented into the server, and the old authentication system will be disabled on Saturday and everyone will need to switch over.

If you read all that, well done and thanks as always for being awesome!
    JackJack

2. Vincentiusx

Vincentiusx Lieutenant
    PlanetSide 2
    Legionary
    Date Joined:  06/02/2013
    Characters:  Vincentiusx
    Minecraft
    Date Joined:  28/08/2013
    Characters:  Lord_Xebenkeck
    Star Citizen
    Commander
    Date Joined:  28/09/2013
    Characters:  Vincentius
    Other Games
    Division Officer (Guns Of Icarus Representative)

you are the one here being awesome :)

3. I second that! ;)

4. NightmareAI

NightmareAI Sergeant
    PlanetSide 2
    Centurion
    Date Joined:  01/02/2013
    Characters:  NightmareAI
    Warframe
    Date Joined:  15/04/2020
    Characters:  NightmareAI
    Other Games

I'm learning to be an application programmer and I wanna be as awesome as you are :)
    Good work! :D

5. ShenR

ShenR Donator

/me makes note in memory to not forget this

Btw. thanks Jackjack for being more awesome ;)

6. kneale1

kneale1 Donator

nice jackjack amazing work thanks for everything you do

7. JackJack233

JackJack233 Ex-Councillor Ex-Councillor (Staff) Donator

8. itzFenrir

itzFenrir Private
    Other Games

Are the tokens already implemented? Because I didn't see any tokens when I clicked on your link.

9. JackJack233

Tokens have now been implemented

10. ZediirHoid

ZediirHoid Sergeant
    PlanetSide 2
    Centurion
    Date Joined:  19/02/2013
    Characters:  Zediir
    ZediirHoid
    Other Games
    Donator

Works like a charm :)

11. JackJack233

You can now test if you set your authentication up correctly by attempting to join the "Test New Authentication" channel on Mumble (it's at the very bottom of the list). If you can join then you've set everything up correctly, if not, then make sure you added your access token correctly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice