Lots of Changes: Server, Domain, Mumble, IRC

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by JackJack233, Jul 22, 2013.

1. JackJack233

JackJack233 Ex-Councillor
    PlanetSide 2
    Date Joined:  23/12/2012
    Characters:  JackJack233
    Minecraft
    Date Joined:  12/08/2013
    Characters:  jackjack233
    Star Citizen
    Commander
    Date Joined:  28/09/2013
    Characters:  JackJack233
    Other Games
    Date Joined:  29/03/2016
    Ex-Councillor (Staff) Donator

Hey guys,

After 10 minutes of this post being visible, I'm going to begin making a bunch of changes to all of the Trident services, as a culmination of 3 weeks development and testing. I'm going to outline all of the changes below, I hope you enjoy everything I've prepared for you! :)

Site
    I deployed the first of the changes a couple of days ago (the new site design). The design is identical in all aspects to the theme used on the forums, and there is now a much more seamless transition between the forums and various utilities I have developed over the last while. If you have any suggestions or find any bugs regarding the new design, please make sure to notify me via PM.

Server
    Before today we have been hosted on a VPS (Virtual Private Server) with x10 Hosting. I have recently found a much cheaper deal which also comes with better specs. Therefore we are migrating from the old server (xten1) to this new server (shardone). shardone will be running the stable ('wheezy') distribution of Debian (xten1 ran the testing ('jessie' distribution), this distribution change should lead to a more stable backend which I have to do less work to maintain.

Domain
    A few months ago the council decided to buy the domain tridgaming.com for Trident. Today we will be moving to this domain, a redirect will be setup at ps2trident.com which redirects to tridgaming.com, however you should make sure to update your bookmarks because that redirect will not be there forever. There will also be a fancy redirect set up for links to topics on ps2trident.com.
    You of course also need to make sure to update your Mumble client and set the address to mumble.tridgaming.com.

Mumble
    The biggest set of changes being applied today are those for the Mumble server.
    The main Mumble change is the switch to an integrated authentication system. What this means is that you can now login to Mumble using your username and password from this site and all of your privileges will be automatically granted. Once you connect you will receive a prefix before your name indicating your rank. Here is a quick guide to all of the prefixes you will see:
    • [GUEST] - A registered user from the forums who is not a diplomat or Trident member
    • [TAG] e.g. [OWND], [IVGD] - Verified diplomat from the indicated community/clan
    • [★] - Trident member with rank Trooper
    • [★★] - Trident member with rank Sergeant
    • [★★★] - Trident member with rank Troop Commander
    • [★★★★] - Trident member with rank Officer
    • [★★★★★] - Trident member with rank Management
    • [★★★★★★] - Trident member with rank Leader
    As well as receiving a prefix, your avatar from the forums will also be automatically set as your Mumble avatar, and will appear beside your name on people's overlays.
    You can find instructions for connecting to Mumble at http://tridgaming.com/index.php/mumble

The other cool Mumble change is the addition of a server web viewer to the Trident site. It is visible in the sidebar on any of the main site pages which have the sidebar enabled (e.g. the homepage). It shows all of the channels available on Mumble as well as the people currently in them. If there is a red mouth beside someone, that indicates they have been active within the past 30 seconds (speaking, typing text message, moving channels, etc.) so you can see who is idling and who is actually chatting.

IRC
    Due to the very small amount of usage IRC has received, it is being scrapped. The server will be shutdown and the links on the site removed. I am considering adding a simple chatbox to the main site, if you would use such a thing please indicate so to me.

2. boTod

boTod Lieutenant
    PlanetSide 2
    Legionary
    Date Joined:  22/01/2013
    Characters:  boTod
    Other Games

thought the site was down, all bookmarks got 404'd.

like the new homepage, and compact roster

3. Stachelkeule

Stachelkeule Lieutenant
    PlanetSide 2
    Legionary
    Date Joined:  20/12/2012
    Characters:  Stachelkeule
    Warframe
    Date Joined:  26/02/2015
    Characters:  Lexobaal
    Star Citizen
    Cadet
    Date Joined:  26/11/2013
    Characters:  Ironcloud
    ARK Survival Evolved
    Date Joined:  30/06/2016
    Characters:  Stachelkeule
    Black Desert Online
    Date Joined:  05/11/2016
    Characters:  Zetiker
    Other Games

Thanks for your effort man! We should give you more love. :D

I love you.

4. TheCainer

TheCainer Councillor
    PlanetSide 2
    Officer
    Date Joined:  28/12/2012
    Characters:  TheCainer
    Warframe
    Date Joined:  13/08/2013
    Minecraft
    Date Joined:  13/08/2013
    Star Citizen
    Ensign
    Date Joined:  19/12/2015
    Other Games
    Councillor (Staff) Donator

looks nice :D
    So this is what you do during your holidays? :p

Small bug: When you go to the membership roster or the mumble page, the header points to /index.php/index.php resulting in a 404

5. DoomPotato

DoomPotato Lieutenant
    PlanetSide 2
    Centurion
    Date Joined:  16/12/2012
    Characters:  DoomPotato
    Warframe
    Characters:  DoomFruit
    Minecraft
    Star Citizen
    Ensign
    Date Joined:  28/09/2013
    Other Games

Wow, very swish. Especially the Mumble changes - nicely done.

6. JackJack233

JackJack233 Ex-Councillor Ex-Councillor (Staff) Donator

I'm a workaholic. :p
    Bug fixed. :)

7. boTod

boTod Lieutenant

hmmm. seems tapatalk is broke

old listing doesn't work (as expected), but there is no listing for new tridgaming.com

8. JackJack233

JackJack233 Ex-Councillor Ex-Councillor (Staff) Donator

Fixed and I've updated Tapatalk to the latest version as well. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice