Request A Mentor - Updated! Request away!

Discussion in 'Public Discussion' started by Omnishoot1, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Djupfryst

Djupfryst Councillor
    PlanetSide 2
    Senior Division Leader
    Date Joined:  22/01/2013
    Characters:  Djupfryst
    Warframe
    Date Joined:  09/09/2013
    Characters:  DjupfrystC
    Minecraft
    Date Joined:  17/12/2013
    Star Citizen
    Ensign
    Date Joined:  23/01/2014
    Other Games
    Date Joined:  29/03/2016
    Councillor (Staff)

Yes, when you get into groups, it becomes a whole different thing. And teaching in that setting requires a whole different set of skills. It's as much about (pub-) leadership as anything else. Here, you can show the basics and give some tips and tricks, but you can't really train specific people, so to say. Not when it comes to something like dogfighting, anyway. But more on that below. Stuff like the Smash Training works because, well, it's squad training. :)

Anywho! The (this) Smash is over, and we can now talk about getting this mentorship thing going again! So if anyone's interested, now's the time to let us know! The list of mentors needs to be updated as well, of course, so also let us know if you're interested in being one! Also, expect the list of training topics to change, at least when it comes to myself.
    Now, when making a request, first consider whether it could be done as part of, say, a Tactical Training or Leadership Training, as that would make things simpler. If so, leave a post in either of these threads.
    But as I said, that's not the best way to learn specific skills and specialized roles. That requires plenty of specific training and personal feedback. When it comes to ESF's, for example, that means doing 1 vs. 1 dogfighting practice. From that, you'll notice a massive improvement even after just one time (even if that has a lot to do with simply doing a warm-up, something you usually can't do on live). So for this kind of thing - vehicles, specialized roles like LA, Infil, Roaming, and possibly (in some ways), Squad or Platoon leading - a mentor would work better.
    In either case, the goal is always to simply get the ball rolling.

Obviously, I don't mean to make things complicated. So if in doubt, as always, just ask (in here), and we'll try to figure out which format best fits your suggestion. That part's up to us, so don't concern yourself with that. But yeah, be aware that, at least when it comes to myself, I may choose to do your suggestion as part of the Tactical or Leadership training if I think it fits better there, and I may choose to prioritize certain things above others. Specifically, things that benefit the outfit as a whole (i.e. leadership).
    But whatever, request away!

2. velie

velie Sergeant
    PlanetSide 2
    Praetor
    Date Joined:  21/08/2016
    Characters:  velie
    Minecraft
    Date Joined:  23/04/2017
    Characters:  powervelie
    Other Games
    Date Joined:  21/08/2016

my leadership skills are still somewhat lacking could use some training, especially on making pubbies follow orders. Furthermore my infantry skills are lacking as well, I'm still stuck with a 0.6-1.4 KDR range after ~2000 hours of playing

3. Omnishoot1

Omnishoot1 Social Media Director
    PlanetSide 2
    Praetor
    Date Joined:  25/01/2014
    Characters:  Omnishoot1
    Star Citizen
    Ensign
    Date Joined:  27/12/2017
    Characters:  Vaulster
    Other Games
    Director (Staff)

My stuff is still up to date

4. Fluffypuck

Fluffypuck Sergeant
    Other Games

@PunisherPad Are you available for ESF training still? and if so, what days/times do you prefer? (my time table is a bit erratic since my work rota changes on a weekly basis.)

I can be available on Live, PTS and Jaeger.

5. Djupfryst

Djupfryst Councillor Councillor (Staff)

Right, just to keep you guys up to date, I've had a couple request for help with leadership. I'm just trying to figure out whether this would be better done by way of a Leadership Training or mentorship. Or, as I think will often be the case, if it's better to start with a normal training session, and then seeing what happens from there.

And also, as is always the case, another Smash has been announced. :) I don't know when we'll be starting our training (at the moment, I feel as if we should have at least a short break), or how busy we'll be once we do. But, yeah, just so everyone knows. But still, keep posting, keep the discussion going!
    Of course, as always, if you're interested in learning about squadplay, tactics, roles, and even (indirectly) leadership, then the Smash training is probably the best place for you (whether you actually sign up or no)!

And also, @PunisherPad , just to double check, should I add you to the list of mentors? If so, should I put you down for only ESF's or something else as well?

6. Baba

Baba Private
    Other Games
    Date Joined:  02/11/2017

I don't know whether this fits in here or not, cause it's more "training" than "mentorship". But I (and I think a couple others) could really use a little "tactical squad galaxy training".

Nothing fancy, or too deep or elaborate, just some basic things (like what Omni tought me the other day; "you don't fly to the waypoint and stop, you fly through the waypoint whiel keeping it stable").

I don't think many hours of intense training are needed, maybe just one hour or less might be enough.

I'd like to learn, for example, what to do when my galaxy is under attack. Do I just sit there and ignore the attackers ? Do I ask for gunners on TS? Do I fly away and try to lose them then come back?

Stuff like that :)

7. TheRipperrr

TheRipperrr Lieutenant
    PlanetSide 2
    Officer
    Date Joined:  14/01/2015
    Characters:  TheRipperrr
    Other Games

I believe more players could use a training like this, at least from what I can see at tactical squads/FNO. Eventually, I can help with that when I have time, too.

Decision between sitting and flying away doing fly-bys is hard to say since you cannot predict when someone's going to spawn and depends on the situation below. For example, when your squad needs to hold a point for only short amount of time, you want to sit and keep dropping your squad mates to the fight with zero downtime. This will help your squad big time, but it might get your galaxy killed way faster. In other situations when you need your galaxy up for the whole duration of the cap, you should keep your galaxy moving at all times and do occasional fly-bys. This is recommended to do at bases with more points, as you can easily rotate between the points. It's tricky though, as you get more downtime and it becomes hard to do it when players spawn in the galaxy one-by-one, forcing you to do risky maneuvres which might get your galaxy killed that way.

As for the gunners, asking on TS is always good, though you might not get them when the whole squad is needed on the point, or they just won't make it in time.

Baba and Omnishoot1 like this.
  8. Djupfryst

Yeah, this definitely fits more into normal training. In fact, we're discussing this very topic in the Smash Squad right now! :) As opposed to getting better at piloting itself (which, like any specialized role, would require a mentor), this is simply about going over the basic and concrete rules and guidelines for piloting a Squad transport (Gal/Valk).
    In short, yes, we will almost certainly cover this in the upcoming Smash training, exactly in the way you described (30-60 minutes at the start of a normal session). That's how we cover these smaller topics which don't require a full Tactical Training session done on them. I don't know exactly when, though probably at the start of training, but yeah, just keep an eye out.
    Also, come to think of it, this is exactly the sort of thing you should make a thread about in the Tactical Discussion forum! :)

Baba likes this.
  9. Djupfryst

10. Mr.Sadibilis

Mr.Sadibilis Private
    PlanetSide 2
    Legionary
    Date Joined:  28/10/2018
    Characters:  MrSadibilis
    Other Games
    Date Joined:  28/10/2018

I mean, I'm not very experienced with the game so I don't need SL and PL training, but I could use some general gameplay advice and such cuz this game is much more confusing than it needs to be.

SirCypher and DotHacker like this.
  11. DotHacker

DotHacker Lieutenant
    PlanetSide 2
    Centurion
    Date Joined:  02/02/2013
    Characters:  DotHacker
    Warframe
    Date Joined:  24/06/2014
    Characters:  Somebody23
    Minecraft
    Date Joined:  12/08/2013
    Characters:  Somebody23
    Star Citizen
    Commander
    Date Joined:  28/09/2013
    Characters:  DotHacker
    Other Games
    Donator

I think we may have people to help you with.

12. Fluffypuck

Fluffypuck Sergeant

I don't think anyone in this thread has gotten a mentor yet.

@Mr.Sadibilis if you see me in game or on TS3 feel free to ask me what ever.

13. Djupfryst

No, frankly speaking, those who were interested simply didn't stick around long enough to get started with anything. :) So, yeah, this mentor thing isn't really happening. Buuut...
    For general gameplay, that's best learned by simply playing in squads and platoons. By playing in platoons, you'll get an understanding of all the basic mechanics and such, and a basic understanding of how a squad/platoon is supposed to function. Going beyond that, learning actual squad play and tactics and such, Tactical Squads are the way to go. Or, if you have something more specific in mind, like loadouts or vehicles and whatnot, Teamspeak is the place to ask.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice